Sunday, May 26, 2013

I can't say too much about how I've have taken the initiative to further promote science and STEM careers as I am only a substitute teacher this year.
What I can say is that there are a group of retired doctors, and scientist that have taken it upon themselves to do their own promoting of STEM careers and science in general, by volunteering at a small school and conducting science lessons apart from the district's curriculum. I heard about this when I saw them with a group of students and inquired about this. I make it a point when I'm subbing at that school to remind students as to when they will next visit, and if there's time, try to review some of the concepts covered from the previous visit. I also have them write questions down and to take these with them for the next science lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Do not sell yourself short. You are not "only a substitute", you are a teacher! If you can find a way to work your passion and expertise into a class during one your substitute sessions you might feel differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason,
    I appreciate your words. Sometimes it does get a little frustrating not having a contracted job, and even ends up coming out in the words I use. But hopefully next year will be different. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've been thinking a lot about getting back into a zoological setting again, maybe somewhere in the pacific northwest. Got any contacts?

    ReplyDelete